No Tennesse Waltz At Tennessee Concert - Aw Shucks

Leonard Cohen Forum members
Forum early entry  -  Nashville, Nov 5, 2009


December 26, 2011

The Nashville, Tennessee concert that I attended on November 5, 2009 has been on my Leonard Cohen radar for the past few weeks.

“Darkness”, which premiered at the Nashville concert,  is the only one of the four new songs performed on the World Tour to be included in Leonard Cohen’s forthcoming new album. “Old Ideas”. (release date Jan 31/12)

Several onlne publications have featured…ahem…my video of “ Darkness” at Nashville. So I often think about the special concert experience I had in Nashville.


The Tennessee Performing Arts Center certainly made Leonard Cohen Forum members feel special.

When we arrived early, we were directed to a sign in a private area, a lovely place for us to mingle and meet some of the band members. And it was very close to the Merch stand where I did some shopping.

This was my first time snapping pics at a Leonard Cohen concert (or any concert for that matter) and I apologize for not asking the three delightful forum fans in the photo above for their names.

I do remember chatting with them and having a lively conversation.  As I recall, they were not locals, rather they drove in for the concert from a considerable distance.

I had hoped that Leonard Cohen would include, perhaps as an encore, his wonderful augmented rendition of "Tennessee Waltz".  After all, the concert would take place in Tennessee, right? Well, that didn't happen.

No Tennessee Waltz in Tennessee - aw shucks.

I love Leonard Cohen's version and I have embedded below a very special video captured in Poland in 1985. His intro is very gracious and very moving.
The basic song was written in 1947 by Redd Stewart and Pee Wee King...Cohen added the third stanza for the live version (dating from 1985) included on Dear Heather (2004)  "The Lyrics Of Leonard Cohen" (Omnibus Press)
Tennessee Waltz (Live)

I was dancing with my darlin'

to the Tennessee Waltz
When an old friend I happened to see
Introduced him to my loved one
and while they were waltzing
My friend stole my sweetheart from me.
I remember the night and the Tennessee Waltz
Now I know just how much I have lost
Yes I lost my little darlin'
The night they were playing
The beautiful Tennessee Waltz.
She comes dancing through the darkness
To the Tennessee Waltz
And I feel like I'm falling apart
And it's stronger than drink
And it's deeper than sorrow
This darkness she's left in my heart.

Leonard Cohen
22 March 1985
Sala Kongresowa, Palac Kultury i Nauki, Warszawa, Poland

 uploaded by musicloveraustria1




-------------------------------
Other Nashville Concert reports
  •  Nashville Early Entry here
  • "Darkness" video here
  •  Nashville concert here
  •  Leonard Cohen living in Tennessee here

No comments:

Post a Comment