Leonard Cohen's Portrait - National Portrait Gallery, London

by Venetia Dearden
Giclée print, 2008
23 1/2 in. x 18 3/8 in. (598 mm x 468 mm) image size
Purchased, 2009
NPG x134366


From June 29, 2011 leonardcohenforum

I came across this outstanding portrait of Leonard Cohen, sporting his Melodrama fedora, which hangs in the National Portrait Gallery in London.

What an honour!

From the NPG website
Founded in 1856, the aim of the National Portrait Gallery, London is ‘to promote through the medium of portraits the appreciation and understanding of the men and women who have made and are making British history and culture, and ... to promote the appreciation and understanding of portraiture in all media’.
The Gallery holds the most extensive collection of portraits in the world. The Collection is displayed in London and in a number of locations around the United Kingdom, including several houses managed by the National Trust...
I was surprised to see him holding a glass with what looks like white wine. I just don't associate Leonard Cohen and white wine.

I recall his answer in an interview about how he stopped drinking, "I lost my taste for it".

No comments:

Post a Comment