Leonard Cohen Concert San Diego, Copley Symphony Hall, April 7, 2009

(L) Javier Mas (R) Dino Soldo

From April 8, 2009  leonardcohenforum.com

Yesterday I drove down from L.A. to San Diego because I wanted to experience the Leonard Cohen concert in an intimate setting, a 2200 seat symphony hall. Through various degrees of machinations, I ended up with an aisle seat in the first row of the Pit. What I did not know was that Pit seats are just stack chairs tied together. The evening was so incredibly awesome, I never even noticed whether I was uncomfortable.

The On Call fan pre-sale ticket pick up went quickly and smoothly. I was one of the early Fans to enter the Merch section and bought a few things, including a poster specific to San Diego. As I was about to leave, one of the crew, a nice girl from Toronto wearing a fedora and the Unified heart security badge around her neck, kindly suggested I hang around for a while as there will be a surprise. And the surprise was – some band members came out to the Merch area to meet Fan members.

The first two were Dino Soldo and Javier Mas. She introduced me to both and suggested they sign my San Diego poster. She provided them with a black pen. Dino wrote “Arlene, Thank you” (signed his name) and Javier wrote underneath that, “Con amor” (signed his name.) As there were not many fans there yet, I was able to chat with them at some length. Both are wonderful and charming gentlemen. I was thrilled. When Rafael Bernardo Gayol came out later, I was able to converse with him too. I was so in awe, I forgot to ask him to also sign my poster.

When I chatted with them I mentioned how excited I was to have a first row Pit seat. When the band members were leaving the stage after the final set of encores (but prior to “Whither Thou Goest”) , Javier Mas turned and waved to me. That was such a sweet gesture.

Towards the end of the concert, dozens of younger people came down to the front and crouched before the stage. After the concert ended, they were asking for the set lists. That same nice crew girl in the fedora gave them the ones left on stage and then came out again with a new batch.

As for the concert, I can only refer you to the Grand Prairie report by ProfNowlin, the most exquisite Leonard Cohen concert review written, in my opinion. I can not describe it any better that he did. San Diego specific: No Lullaby, Yes cartwheels, Much fewer band introductions.

One discovery for me at the live concert, is the very important contribution of BOB METZGER to the success of the band. I never picked up on this in all the youtube tour clips, the London Live DVD and CD set. He is an amazing talented musician. He is their solid foundation.
LC has referred to him as the ”Signature of Steady” and the “Architect of the Arpeggio”. I can now understand why LC has wanted him in his troupe all these many years.
                                                   * * *
From August 9, 2009   leonardcohenforum.com

You may wonder why I am posting in August about a concert that took place last April.
Because, I just received access to two photos taken at the Fan early entry. The story goes like this. First to repeat part of my original San Diego concert post.
I was one of the early Fans to enter the Merch section and bought a few things, including a poster specific to San Diego. As I was about to leave, one of the crew, a nice girl from Toronto wearing a fedora and the Unified heart security badge around her neck, kindly suggested I hang around for a while as there will be a surprise. And the surprise was – some band members came out to the Merch area to meet Fan members.
The first two were Dino Soldo and Javier Mas. She introduced me to both...
I did not have a camera. Before the entry time, I met a fan, not a Forum member, who was there early because he flew down from the Bay area. I invited him to come in early with me. I turned to this lovely man and asked if he had a cell phone that takes pictures. He said yes, but first he had to figure out how, then snapped two photos. Then he announced he would have to figure out how to get the photos out of the cell phone.

That never happened. A few answered and unanswered emails later, he wrote that he never figured it out and anyway, he no longer uses that phone. Long story short, I asked him to mail me the cell phone, which he did. I walked into the closest BigName Cell store, paid to get the phone reactivated in my name and asked for instructions to get the photos out. As most of you already know, the answer is email. This reminds me of an old joke. Do you know why Moses wandered in the desert for 40 years? He wouldn't ask for directions.

The picture quality is not great, but I am THRILLED to have them. (See top of this post)

Set List: San Diego, April 7, 2009

First Set:

Dance Me To The End Of Love/The Future/Ain't No Cure For Love
Bird On The Wire/Everybody Knows/In My Secret Life/Who By Fire
Chelsea Hotel/Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye/Anthem

Second Set: Tower Of Song/Suzanne/Gypsy Wife
The Partisan/Boogie Street/Hallelujah/I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (recitation)/Take This Waltz

Encores: So Long, Marianne/First We Take Manhattan/Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will/Democracy/That Don't Make It Junk/Closing Time
I Tried to Leave You/Whither Thou Goest


No comments:

Post a Comment