Leonard Cohen Recites Specially Written Verse in "Sony Two Worlds" Commercial

Enigmatic illustration & lighting setup (top), final video image (below)
Screen shots from "Making of Sony Two Worlds"

October 14, 2011



Ever since Jarkko Arjatsalo, webmaster of The Leonard Cohen Files posted the news about the new Sony commercial featuring Leonard Cohen, I have watched it many times.

I find it mesmerizing.

Leonard Cohen recites a specially written verse, "That's What I Heard You Say". His voiceover is gentle but spoken in a compelling, spellbound way.

Don’t matter if the road is long
Don’t matter if it’s steep
Don’t matter if the page is gone 
It’s written that we’ll meet. 
I loved you when you opened
Like a lily to the heat
And I love you when it closes
A thousand kisses deep

I know you had to lie to me 
I know you had to cheat 
You learned it on your father’s knee 
And at your mother’s feet.
But did you have to fight your way 
Across the burning street 
Where all our vital interests lay 
A thousand kisses deep

When I viewed this for the first time, I felt instantly that it was an exceptional work of art, an extraordinary technical production.

The behind the scenes video, "Making of Sony Two Worlds" is equally compelling.  I am a fan of "process", so I have watched the "Making of..." video multiple times as well.

*Sony Two Worlds featuring Leonard Cohen*  sonyelectronics

Directed by Arev Manoukian and inspired by his short film Nuit Blanche, '"Sony Two Worlds" is a video short showcasing cinematic art with the power of 3D. The short features Sony artist Leonard Cohen, an original soundtrack by composer Clint Mansell and was produced by Grey London
*Making of Sony Two Worlds*  sonyelectronics

Agency: GREY, London, UK
Executive Creative Director: Nils Leonard
Creative Director: Dave Monk and Matt Waller
Agency Producer: Jacqueline Dobrin
Production Company: Spy Films, Toronto, Canada
Producer: Marcus Trulli
Director: Arev Manoukian
Editing Company: Digital Domain
Post Production: Digital Domain
This is only a guess.  In the "Making of..." video, starting at 4.53, the camera pans to the sound booth on the left. The lighted lectern and microphone are facing towards the screen. The voice over corresponds with the images on the TV monitor.

So, is Leonard Cohen in the sound booth?


And at 4.37

No comments:

Post a Comment